Energy efficiency is one of the most cost-effective ways of addressing the EU's strategic objectives: tackling climate change, ensuring security of supply and enhancing competitiveness, while creating jobs and contributing to affordable energy for customers. A well-designed energy efficiency policy can significantly help to reduce carbon emissions in all sectors, including the transport sector.
Our Power Choices study and the EU low-carbon roadmap clearly show that energy efficiency plays a crucial role in Europe's energy future and should be prioritised. Given the difficult financial and economic climate, it is extremely important that the EU and member states adopt measures that are both cost-efficient and equitable.
As a sector, we are already committed to improving the efficiency of our power plants, while expanding renewable energy like wind and solar and ensuring a continuous electricity supply. We are also strongly committed to identifying those areas where we can contribute to saving energy together with our customers and other partners.
To further reduce energy demand and use electricity more efficiently, achieving meaningful behavioural changes will be critical. The interests of customers should be paramount in creating flexible solutions which help them meet this challenge.
Below you can find a list of documents that set out the electricity industry's views on energy efficiency, in particular in light of the new Energy Efficiency Directive, proposed by the European Commission on 22 June 2011.
Energy Efficiency Directive
- 07/03/2012 - Energy Efficiency Directive Should Not Penalise Use Of Electricity
- 03/10/2011 - EURELECTRIC views on the Proposal for a Directive on Energy Efficiency - Commission Proposal COM (2011) 370 final of 22/06/2011 - October 2011
- 03/10/2011 - Improvements Needed To Ensure Energy Efficiency Directive Can Deliver
- 22/06/2011 - Proposed Energy Efficiency Directive Should Support Market-Based Approach, EURELECTRIC Urges
- 15/06/2011 - EURELECTRIC concerns on the upcoming Energy Efficiency Directive - Letter to Heads of Commissioner's Cabinets
- 03/05/2011 - The Promotion of Energy Efficiency Services - A survey among Electricity Companies - May 2011
- 18/04/2011 - EURELECTRIC paper on The Role of Electricity Companies in Promoting Energy Efficiency to End-Users
- 09/03/2011 - More is Less: The role of electricity in energy efficiency
Eco-design and energy labelling
- 08/02/2012 - Use of the primary energy conversion factor in energy-using products - Letter to Commissioners
- 24/08/2011 - Study on Amended Ecodesign Working Plan under the Ecodesign Directive
- 27/05/2011 - EURELECTRIC comments to the Draft Commission Delegated Regulations implementing Directives 2010/30/EU and 2009/125/EC with regard to, respectively, energy labelling and ecodesign requirements for boilers