The Union of the Electricity Industry - eurelectric is the sector association which represents the common interests of the electricity industry at pan-European level, plus its affiliates and associates on several other continents. We currently have over 34 full members, representing the electricity industry in 32 European countries.
Our mission and objectives
eurelectric's mission is to contribute to the development and competitiveness of the electricity industry, to provide effective representation for the industry in public affairs and to promote the role of a low-carbon electricity mix in the advancement of society. In this regard, eurelectric’s main objectives are:
- Achieving a carbon-neutral electricity mix in Europe well before mid-century
- Ensuring a cost-efficient, reliable supply through an integrated market
- Developing energy efficiency and the electrification of the demand-side to mitigate climate change.
eurelectric’s priorities for the coming years will be guided by a new long-term Vision for the European Electricity Industry, which was adopted in December 2017. In this Vision, our sector commits to playing a key role to enable and sustain:
- A vibrant, competitive European economy, reliably powered by clean, carbon-neutral energy
- A smart, energy efficient and truly sustainable society for all citizens of Europe.
The Vision includes a clear commitment to invest in clean power generation and transition-enabling solutions, to reduce emissions and actively pursue efforts to become carbon-neutral well before mid-century.To read more about our Vision, please click here.
eurelectric pursues in all its activities the application of the following sustainable development values:
- Economic development: growth, added-value, efficiency
- Environmental leadership: commitment, innovation, pro-activeness
- Social responsibility: transparency, ethics, accountability.
In application of these values, all eurelectric publications and positions, as well as an overview of key meetings with high-level EU officials, are available on the website. eurelectric is also a signatory to the EU Transparency Register.
eurelectric’s work covers all major issues affecting our sector, from markets to energy policy, environment & sustainable development, retail customers, networks and many other energy related topics. Our members meet regularly to discuss specific issues related to these topics and identify, through thorough and specialised research into the marketplace, technologies and legislation, the common interests of our industry. On this basis, they contribute towards the preparation of policy papers, reports and political statements. eurelectric then promotes the views of our industry at European level and effectively engage in policy debates with EU officials and other energy stakeholders.
Our activities also include the organisation of conferences and events, contributions to press articles and the collection of sector statistics.To learn more about our work, take a look at our latest annual report.